Saturday, October 9, 2010

"Isn't it Iconic" "The Power of the Box- Powerful Packaging Design"

1. Packaging is extremely important when marketing a product. Simply because consumers judge a product by its packaging before they decide to buy the product. If a package is attractive, the consumer is going to want to buy the product. Without attractive packaging, they wouldn't want to buy it in order to try it. Just like when I'm in the store shopping, I skim through the isles until I find something that catches my eye. One example is when I went to the grocery store to buy snacks for my dorm. The first isle I walk by catches my eye, it has almost every snack you could think of but the one I just had to buy was the 12 pack of  "CHEEZ-IT". The traditional color scheme of red and white , as mentioned in "Isn't it Iconic" by Stacey King Gordon, is a color combination that tend to catch my eye of most consumers and the picture of the golden orange baked craker immediately made my decision final. I was going to buy it cause I just had to have them.

2. Some products that have iconic packaging are Campbell's Soup, Skittles Candies, Gatorade, Quaker Oatmeal, and Sprite.These products have simple color combinations that have bold but basic writing,they are different which makes them uncomparable to products in the same categories, they contain exceptional products, and the are upgraded and refreshed at the right times.

3. There are a lot of  usability issues that exist for packaging.Packages that are not able to close after you open them are one of the many issues with packaging. Some packages are problematic because they can't be used on the go so you cant travel with them. Others are designed so poorly that they give you problems when you try to do a simply task like opening the product.Also, there are packages that hold cakes or chewy granola bars,  are an issue because they dont provide much protect to the contents inside, making them more likely to getting squished. A particularly good packaged product isCampbell's soup. The design is simple and attractive, the strong material protects the soup inside so there is no damage if dropped and nothing is able to get inside the can, and you are able to store the can anywhere.A particularly bad packaged product is Dominio Sugar. Its package is paper that doesn't support the grainy contents. Even in the store you can see sugar under the shelves and sometimes when you pick it up it has suger seeping through the creases.

No comments:

Post a Comment