Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Science of Shopping

1.The article "The Science of Shopping" introduced a variety of important points on the behavior of shoppers in a store.I felt like the most important point was that the markerters and retailers have to conform to the desires of the sellers. The author talked about Paco Underhill, the man behind the consumer study, and how he is hired to place cameras in the stores to study the patterns and signs of the customers. He reports back to his clients with an analysis on the customers behavior to help the client make improvements in sales. Paco's analysis helps the markerters and retailers because it breaks down the the behaviors by gender and age.The breakdown gives the retailers the opportunity to satisfy the need of men and women both young and old.

2. I believe I am greatly influenced and affected by a store's design. I will leave a store If I feel  there is little to no space to manuever. Just like Paco Underhill mentioned in the article, if I was bumped on my backside I would leave the store immediately.Mainly because a brush on the backside is unexpected when shopping that it seems to interrupt my comfort zone.I am  also influenced by a store's lighting. Hollister, for example, has a dim dark lighting throughtout the store. I personally will not buy anything form inside the store because the lighting makes it difficult for me to actually see the clothing. However, because I like the style of clothing Hollister sells, I will instead buy clothing form the online shopping site. I think I am influenced so much by a store's design because I have certain expections for each type of store.

3. To analzye a retail store, I would use the following checklist:

1. Lighting- Does the store has a dim light setting or bright fluoresent lighting?
2.Scent-Does the store have a perfume/cologne fragrance, scented air fresheners, or no scent at all?
3.Space- Is there enough space to manuever? Are the isles narrow or wide?
4.Arrangement- Are the products grouped into sections they are associated with? Can you distinguish each section?

No comments:

Post a Comment